Unfortunately in today’s society things are not always what they seem. We are living in a world where there is a spiritual undercurrent in the lives of many. There is a demonic spirit, agenda from satan himself emasculating the man and positioning the world for the spirit of Jezebel to reign supreme. Both the spirit of Ahab and Jezebel exist today. There is much teaching on the spirit of Jezebel; there is not as much teaching on the spirit of Ahab. For those who are unaware Ahab was a King, therefore, he had a position of authority, but he operates in a very passive spirit. Because of his passive spirit, a nation was almost destroyed. Ahab and Jezebel are dead, but their spirit lives today. We are seeing more and more Ahab’s and Jezebel’s in our world. This blog is about how to discern the spirit of Ahab in others. Although the spirit of Ahab does exist in women, it is not easily detected because it is a feminized spirit. However, for the sake of this blog post, we will focus on how to discern the spirit of Ahab in a man. Note an individual doesn't have to have all the symptoms or characteristics noted. If you identify at least five you know that a spirit of Ahab is present.
Symptoms/characteristics of Ahab
• A passive man
• Submitted to a controlling woman. (Often with women who has a title of Prophetess or Prophet)
• Feminized man
• Won’t lead even in conversation he expects a woman to lead.
• Ahab doesn’t speak up for his wife and children.
• Ahab is not a provider or protector. He can’t give identity because he doesn’t know his own identity. (Ahab is not a father fiqure)
• Quiet but not discerning
• No boundaries
• Intimidated by Godly men.
• Easily manipulated
• Doesn’t speak up when wronged.
• Co-dependent (can’t think for himself)
• A generational spirit (his father and grandfather's where Ahab’s.)
• Didn’t have good male role model’s growing up, didn’t have a strong father or father figure.
• Use to women taking care of him.
• Secretly suffers from anxiety and chronic fear
• Lacks leadership skills or the anointing of a leader but has a position or title of a leader.
• Is not discerning
• Doesn’t like to be confronted with the truth, when he is confronted he will easily agree to avoid conflict but never changes his behavior because his heart doesn’t change.
• Will easily put up with a controlling, manipulative woman.
• Expects a woman to take care of him.
• Is attracted to spiritual Jezebel’s but not spiritual Esther’s.
• Easily intimidated by a strong woman, while in a relationship with Jezebel (is secretly scared of her).
• May have a position, title or platform, but behind the scenes, Jezebel is running the show.
• Will sit at home sleeping while his woman works.
• Doesn’t work or can’t stay on a job for a long time.
• If single he goes from house to house with different women taking care of him.
• His mother was a Jezebel.
• His mother doesn’t see a potential wife for her son as a potential daughter but rather someone to be in competition with. His mother took care of him much longer than she should have. He is an adult child.
• Came from a single parent household.
• Fear of confrontation.
• Fear of speaking the truth.
• Fear of rejection, insecure.
• Surface conversations.
• Fear, Fear, Fear.
• Beware ladies, you can discern a Ahab when you don’t really know him like that but he starts disclosing past hurts and current complaints. He wants you to feel sorry for him, so you empathize so much that you start taking care of him. Ahab can’t make decisions on his own or figure it out so he starts talking to you.
• Ahab is passive aggressive. He can’t say what he really feels to you, he has to make sideways innuendos and comments. Ahab can’t be assertive even if it is in a respectful way.
• Ahab is a grown man with the mentality of a little boy.
• Ahab if married will be the stay at home dad while his wife works. (which is out of order by God’s standards by the way)
So How Can Ahab Get Free?
He must acknowledge his Ahab spirit before God. God will not free you from what you don’t acknowledge.
Endure the process. God will send Ahab’s through a series of test to build their spiritual muscle and make them into the individuals God has called them to be. The process is hard, gut wrenching because through every step of the way Ahab is tempted to go back to Jezebel or go back to being taken care of because that is his unhealthy coping mechanism.
Do not! Do not! Go to being in a relationship. If Ahab is single, he must remain single until the processing is done. Any relationship including friendships, and romantic relationships will turn into unhealthy codependent relationships because Ahab thrives on people taking care of him. He needs someone “stronger” than himself to lean on. Ahab must learn to lean on God and must wait for God to release divine authority to him. Ahab must find his true identity as a man of God. Anyone that Ahab finds himself in a relationship with he will take on their identity because he has no real sense of self. Ahab if your single, stay that way until God has done processing you. Ahab will force the person he is in a relationship with to lead because of his passive nature. They will eventually come to resent him because of this.
If you are married to an Ahab, it may be hard but stop pacifying Ahab. Hold him accountable. If he doesn’t get it done don’t do it for him. If Ahab refuses to work, you’re going to have to show him tough love. Do not continue to enable Ahab.
Ahab has big problems with boundaries setting boundaries and respecting boundaries, so you have to make your boundaries and expectations very clear. Again make boundaries both personal and professional very clear because Ahab lacks common sense and discernment.
Pray, Pray, Pray, Endure the Process then Keep Praying.
The Word, The Word, The Word.
Hebrews 4:12 (KJV)
12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
For scriptural reference see I Kings 18 and read your way through. Look for patterns in the relationship between Jezebel and Ahab.
Samaria M Colbert © 2017